Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Dishonest people

I trust people.  I trust them to tell me the truth and be honest.  Sometimes, that comes back and bites me on the backside.  But before I get on my soapbox and have a little rant, I need to tell you about Tesla.

Tesla is surely the smartest dog I have ever had.  At less than three months she seems to be completely house broken.  She knows sit.  She kind of knows stay.  She knows the kitchen is off limits (a very important quality in a dog that might easily be able to pick and choose what she wants off the counter).  She has learned (but has a little trouble following through) that chickens are not for chasing and she seems to take complete delight in 'helping' me with the big animals.  She is a joy and is quickly becoming a fixture in this house.

Now I shall let the rant begin.

When I was looking for a new dog I SPECIFICALLY looked for Great Dane or Great Dane mix.  I SPECIFICALLY looked at rescue organisations because I thought they were the best choice and had the best interest of the dog in mind.  When I found Tesla she was listed as a Great Dane, Shepherd/Lab mix.  When I talked to the rescue people I was told a tale of how Tesla and her siblings were surrendered at the age of 5 weeks.  I was told that Tesla's Mom was a Great Dane and her dad was a German Shepherd/Lab mix.  I was told these things as fact.  We paid a premium adoption fee because of this very desirable mix of breeds.

Tesla came to us with a case of kennel cough that was being treated with antibiotics.  When the run of antibiotics was over she developed a UTI and we took her to the vet.  The vet, naturally, wanted to know all the facts about her as well as the type of antibiotic she was on.  Belatedly, we dug through the stack of paperwork given to us at the time of her adoption and discovered that Tesla was not surrendered.  She was a stray picked up off the streets somewhere in California.  We discovered that really no one had any idea what breed of dog she was and the rescue group in California thought she might be a shepherd/lab mix.  Or might not.  It was purely speculation.

The California group sent Tesla and her siblings to Tacoma where they thought she might, maybe, look like she was part Great Dane.  Maybe.  Then again, maybe not.  But Great Dane fetches a higher adoption fee. They completely fabricated the tale of surrendering and parent breeds.  Not only that, but it took over 24 hours for the Tacoma rescue group to get back to me with the antibiotic information.  My dog was peeing blood and they didn't think it was a priority.  I shall report them to the Better Business Bureau and hope future dog-seeking people are smarter than we were and will check out the rescue group before doing business.

I feel quite taken.  I feel very disappointed.  I feel foolish and embarrassed.  I have wanted a Great Dane for many years and have patiently waited until circumstances were right for such a commitment.  Great Dane or not, Tesla is certainly going to be a large dog and I'm not sure I want two giant dogs at once.

I guess all I can do is wait and see what Tesla grows into. If she turns out to be pit-bull or chihuahua it doesn't really matter (although I would never knowingly choose either of those breeds, fine breeds though they are).  Worse case scenario I will wait another 15 years or so to try again to fulfill my Great Dane dreams.

2 comments:

  1. The BBB is all but useless these days. Better to put a review on YELP or Angie's List, especially with actionable information ("check your papers before leaving with the dog") to help future adopters ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've probably already thought of this, but can you ask for a partial or full refund? Even if it means a veiled threat to return Tesla.

    ReplyDelete