Saturday, June 16, 2012

Cadbury and Chupa

Meet Chupa:

She was born May 22nd.  She and her mom, Cadbury are ours - probably.  We still need to get fencing and shelter created for them.

There is still a small window where we can come to our senses and cancel the deal we're making with their current keeper.  They are Huacaya (pronounced Wa-Ky-Ah) Alpaca.  Huacaya fiber is thick and bouncy and spins like a dream.  Of course, I'll only be able to spin and knit chocolate brown wool from now on - but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Cadbury (as in chocolate) came to her current owner, Mark, as a rescue.  He saw her through her pregnancy and birth but is now ready to pass her and her cria on to a loving home.  What a coincidence!  I just happen to have one of those!

We went to meet them yesterday.  We were told Cadbury is not pet-quality.  That means she is leery of humans - but is, fortunately, food-driven.  She will come to a human if you have food.  I can relate to that.  She is apparently much friendlier than she was when first rescued and I have full confidence I can break through her guard and get her to trust me.  I just happen to have an apple tree and apparently, she loves apples.  How fortunate is that?

Chupa is a totally different story.  Chupa bounces and runs and leaps and hops and explores.  She is a bundle of energy and you just can't help but smile when you watch her.  When I first met her, I sat down on the ground and she approached me cautiously.  She smelled my face.  She smelled my hair.  It tickled.  I laughed and frightened her into bounding off.  It wasn't long before she came back again and repeated the process.  This time I stifled my giggles and she stayed awhile longer, after a complete investigation she got distracted by something and wandered away.  She is definately pet quality and I expect she and I will become best friends. 

Mark showed us the corral - which they just happened to share with.. (drum roll please).. goats.  Yes - apparently goats and alpacas can live happily together.  hmm... this opens up a whole new world of possibilities! 

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you need a fence building party instead of a luau............

    ReplyDelete