Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Reflections on the past year.

Peter and I celebrated our 1st anniversary this past weekend.  The event gave me pause to reflect upon the past year.  A LOT has happened.  What a year it's been.  Moving, kids, work, unemployment, moving again.., The wonderful thing is that I've had Peter to share the ride with.  Let me make this clear... he's NOT perfect.  But he IS perfect for ME.  There are things he does that make me want to jump up and down and stamp my foot.  I'm pretty sure there are things I do that make him want to run screaming.  Moving in with someone at our ripe old age is not easy.  We are both set in our ways.  We both have our own ideas on how to do things.  There were a lot of compromises and adjustments that had to be made. I think we're thriving - I believe in the past year we've managed to build a stable foundation that will enable us to weather the storms life throws at us in the coming years.

Since we got married in Hawaii without any fanfare and since we never had the opportunity to celebrate with friends and family we decided we needed to have a party.  What could we do but throw a luau, so a luau we threw!

My friend Elaine decorated a cake for us:

Friends from Lynden stopped by.  Friends from Salem and Portland drove all the way up here to celebrate with us.



We feasted on pork and salmon, fruit, roasted vegetables, cake and mai tai's.  We had a fire in the fire pit and sang songs.  We are so blessed that we have these people in our lives that were so generous to gift us with their company for our evening.

Even my brother and his wife joined us, all the way from Florida.  Coincidentally, they were celebrating their 29th wedding anniversary two days after our first.  They arrived late on the 4th and we hit the ground running. We went off to B.C. for lunch and a brewery tour. We picnicked along Sammish Bay feasting on oysters, crab, cheese and wine. We drove to to top of Mt. Baker and we even got in a little rest and relaxation.  We celebrated their anniversary in our little house on the ditch with a fancy candlelit dinner of homemade tortellini. 

It's been a busy week.  All the guests have gone home and it's time to get down to business around here.  We have landscaping to do, the vineyard to weed, a fiber studio to build, and oh so much more.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to both of you! And keep writing! -- E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Wish I had known about it. Hope to visit sometime. I want to see the homestead.

    ReplyDelete