Thursday, July 12, 2012

The risk of being practical.

I'm going to try to paint a picture with my words..  Let's see if it works..

We've been weeding in the vineyard the last couple days.  Being the practical girl I am I have wanted to dress practically.  Jeans - especially the jeans they sell these days - don't provide enough coverage for a person who is doing a lot of leaning over and crawling around on the ground.  Especially for a female with, uh... curves.  So, to be practical I wore my overalls.

Yesterday I got a little too much sun. Being the practical sort I donned a white t-shirt for shoulder coverage and a big floppy brimmed hat.  On earlier weeding expeditions I wore tennis shoes which quickly filled with the loose dirt and became uncomfortable, so for practicality I wore my big boots.

I never looked in the mirror.  I was being practical.

While we were weeding Peter spied signs of a predator that had the potential to threaten our farm family so he asked me to go get the shotgun since I was closer to the house than he was.  It was the practical thing to do.

As I returned to the field, traipsing across the uneven ground with a bit of an ambling gait, shotgun in hand, overalls, boots, floopy hat, Peter burst out laughing and finally mustered a "Thanks Jed!"

Apparently I was a mustache, baggy jacket and hunting dog shy of looking just like Jed Clampett.

The sun is at it's apex now and it's very hot outside.  I've come in the house, because it's practical not to get heat stroke, I've showered and cleaned up.

As I sit here writing this post I'm wearing make up and a dress.  Not the least bit practical, but when your somewhat newish husband starts saying you remind him of Jed Clampett it's really important to STOP being practical.

2 comments:

  1. I snort laughed...today I was wearing baggy pants tucked into barn boots, and I was carrying a big stick to prod cattle. We probably looked very similar. Then I changed into a black bikini, made myself a cocktail and floated in the pool. Us farm girls can change it up like that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny. We are so many women rolled into one. Aren't costumes for our multiple personalities great?

    ReplyDelete