Thursday, August 2, 2012

Kitchen Floor

Hey!  Check out my new kitchen floor!  Isn't it just gorgeous?

Now before you start the paperwork on having me committed I have to confess something. It's not my new floor at all, in fact, it's the original flooring that came with the house.  I don't really hate it and it's certainly better than the 1970's vinyl faux-adobe brick that was on there.

Removing the top layer of vinyl was challenging.  You see it was on plywood that was stapled to the floor.  I had to pry the plywood up, then remove the staples.  It seems this was  a rare and special kind of plywood that had a tendency to travel.  At least that's the only explanation I can think of to warrant the 10,000 staples they used to hold it in place.  It took me three days and gave me a huge blister in the middle of my palm.  Once I started though I couldn't stop until it was done.  Oh the things I get myself into!



Even though I don't hate the vinyl it is going to have to go (or atleast be re-hidden under a new layer of flooring).  The kitchen was remodeled at the same time that top layer of vinyl was laid.  That means that there are places where the vinyl just doesn't go.


There are also a gazillion staple holes in it as well as serious wear in places.



There is that beautiful fir under this vinyl but I don't think i want to use that in my kitchen.  Not to mention that this layer of flooring is glued AND nailed to the floor.  I'm thinking tile.

No comments:

Post a Comment