Sunday, January 20, 2013

Chickens

Chickens.  I want them.  I want them bad.

Chicks have been arriving at the post office every few days.  They arrive on the early truck and hang with us mail carriers peeping loudly begging for release from their cardboard prisons.  Someone usually comes to pick them up by mid morning.  It's too bad we don't get to deliver them.  I could just imagine driving around in my little tin can LLV with the the music of little chicks echoing.  Then again, that much noise in such close confines might cause me a bit of stress..

At any rate, it really pulls at my heart strings.  I love chickens.  We've had a couple weeks of freezing temperatures or below around here.  We were told a "hard freeze" would kill the virus that's developed here.  I wonder if our cold snap has been enough.  I worry that it hasn't.  Do I go ahead and get some new chicks, fall for them only to have them die horrible deaths in 6 months?  I'm really torn.

I am leaning toward getting them.  And since I'm leaning that direction I'm thinking chicken coops.  I want to create a home for my fowl that will make the neighbor chickens jealous.

I'm thinking something architectural, funky and fun like one of these:




And then, of course, there is the chicken breed!  I really liked my Rhode Island Reds (Carmen, Carmen and Lucy).  And my barred rock, Teri(yaki) was loads of fun.  Salt and Pepper were silkies.  They were cute, but weren't as gregarious as the others. 

Perhaps I will get one of each kind of chicken I can find.  It would make them easier to tell apart.  Stay tuned for updates and photos...

No comments:

Post a Comment