Monday, June 3, 2013

Welcome to Sharontopia!



I lay claim to this 264 square feet, formerly known as the "Future Fiber Studio" in the name of Sharon, the Queen.  I name this space: "SharonTopia."

Visitors are absolutely welcome in SharonTopia. I shall have an open border policy. There will be strict import laws, however.  Anything brought into SharonTopia to stay shall have to be approved by The Queen.  Placement of imported items to SharonTopia must pass a strict approval process.

SharonTopia is a work in progress.  The Future Fiber Studio was a dream.  SharonTopia is real.  It is now. It is there.

Here's the scoop.  I got married a couple years ago and now share my life with someone else.  That someone else, who I adore, seems to think he rules the roost.  I'm (mumble mumble mumble) years old and for most of those years I have been the roost ruler.  I have been master of my domain, Queen of my realm and the final word on anything involving anything around me.  Not having that control has been a frustrating element in my life for the last couple years.  We live in a house smaller than I'm used to and Peter has stuff.  He has lovely stuff, and I'm not complaining about his stuff, but it just doesn't fit and I've slowly gotten squeezed out of the house.  Originally our home office had two desks, one of which was mine.  We still have two desks in there, but his files and papers have slowly migrated over.  I had my spinning and weaving stuff tucked into the pretty spare bedroom, but now his stuff is sneaking in there.  He lives here too and he has every right to put things wherever he wants.  My problem is that I can no longer find any of my things - and when I can - I usually have to move 'stuff' to get to them.

Before we got married, even before he came back into my life I stated loudly and proudly that I wanted to live in a house that had enough room, or as little stuff, that I could ride my bicycle in it.  Clutter makes me crazy!  I want to be organized and clutter-free.  I NEED to be organized and clutter-free.

Saturday I planted my flag in SharonTopia.  The future fiber studio needed doors, but to do the job properly, the floors and sheet rock should go up first.  But before sheet rock, insulation needed to be installed, but before insulation wiring needed to be added.  That was the problem.  Although I can do insulation, sheet rock and flooring, I needed Peter to do the wiring.  So - toss out the future fiber studio and embrace SharonTopia.  A less-than-perfect but perfectly serviceable world I can control.  I decided to install my interior french doors.  Peter was busy installing a pump and filter in the fish pond so I snuck off to SharonTopia and started cleaning, straightening and installing the doors.  I wrestled them into place, and tacked them up.  Then I found out that there was a board fastened to the bottom of the doors to keep them from opening.  I removed my temporary nails and tried to tip the doors.  Unfortunately, they weren't fastened at the top so the  doors started to separate and pull the frame apart.  I stood there holding up the doors and keeping them together and unable to move.  I was in a pickle.  I managed to get them to lean against the doorway and propped them up on blocks, then I tried to use a hammer to remove the board attached on the bottom of the doors.  Problem was, it was screwed in, not nailed.  Sigh.  My only choice was to lay the doors on the floor.  I started to move them into the position to lay them down when one door flew open, the frame twisted, and I was again left stranded holding my doors at a wonky angle.  Unable to put them down, unable to lift them back up.  This time I was truly stuck.

I stood pondering my predicament for several minutes when Peter poked his nose through the doorway.

Our conversation went something like this:

He, very nonchalantly: Whatcha doin?
Me:  Nothing
He:  Are you installing the doors?
Me:  Apparently not.
He:  You know it would be better if we installed the walls and floors first.
Me:  I realize that.  (about ready to buckle from the weight of the door)
He:  Need some help?
Me:  No.  I'm fine.
He:  Are you sure?
Me:  Well, maybe I could use a little help getting this thing off the bottom...

Peter helped me get the board off the bottom and then helped me maneuver the doors in to the doorway opening  and left me to my own devices (good man!)

So here are photos of SharonTopia as it stands today..  I am happy has a clam for electricity via extension cords, walls made of boards leaning against the studs and peeling floors.  It is mine.  I shall soon remove the outdoor furniture (for it never to return) and I will make other changes as I see fit but for now it is perfect.


1 comment: