Sunday, June 16, 2013

My little GOAT shop

Just to get it out of the way - my new meat grinder, Kitchenaid attachment arrived.  I shall never buy ground beef again!  The process was efficient and non-revulsive and the end product was far better in texture, fat content and possible mystery ingredients than anything you can buy.

Now!  To the real story!  A couple weeks, while I was at work, Peter had gone to visit some friends of ours,  Angela and Mark, the people we got Chupa and Cadbury from.  The very people that had the two baby goats I was trying not to fall in love with.  He came home with 6 Muscovy ducklings and 2 goslings.  Because you can never have too many ducks and geese!

Coincidentally, that very afternoon Angela posted on Facebook that she had sold the two baby goats.  I told Peter and said it was just as well.  I wasn't ready for goats and then I laughed and said, "YOU didn't buy them did you?"  He looked me straight in the eyes and said:  "No."  I was actually fine with someone else buying them because I'm NOT ready for goats and if they found a good home somewhere then I didn't have to work so hard not to get them.

Fast forward to yesterday.  I was doing my job, putting mail in a neighborhood mail box, while the people in the house right in front of the box were unceremoniously ripping out about 6 feet of very crowded iris and dumping in the garden recycle box.  In horror I asked why and was told the owner just didn't like iris.  Crazy I'm telling you!  I love iris. They are some of my favorite spring flowers.  I was told I could have them and I made arrangements to come back after work to fetch them.

When I got home from work I went in search of Peter so he could go with me to retrieve my salvaged flowers.  I wasn't sure where to start.  We do have acreage and he could be hiding in a thousand different places.  As I cast my glance northward I saw Peter's mother traipsing across the tundra toward the Alpaca pasture.  She never goes out there.  There had to be a reason, most likely in my mind was that she TOO was looking for Peter and had probably spotted him.  So I followed her.  As I rounded the bend by the blackberries there were Peter and his mom watching  Een (Ayn) and Twee (Tway) feast on the blackberries.  He HAD bought them.  He HAD lied to me about it.  Hmm... now I have to be suspicious of  the things he tells me.

Hey!  Are you our new mom?
Goats like to climb on things
Chupa has to investigate her new neighbors

Een and Twee are LaMancha/Boer crosses and are about 3 months old.  They are not fiber goats.  I have alpaca for fiber.  These are going to be milk goats. LaMancha goats are easy to pick out because they have tiny little ears. Boer goats are often meat goats - but we will NOT be eating these goats or any of their offspring.  Sometime this winter we will send the girls back to Angela and Mark's for a "date night" with their little buck, Caspar the friendly goat - then about 5 months after that we'll have even MORE goats.  Sigh.

Things are coming together...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment