Thursday, January 13, 2011

The troll emerges!

Way back in June I started a new job with a new desk.  My new desk was located in the dark, dank dungeon of an old public service building.  Low ceilings, no natural light, 3 gray walls within 20 feet of my cube, Occasional foot traffic but mostly a forgotten corner of the basement.  I felt like the swingline staple guy from the movie "Office Space."  I wasn't about to complain - it was employment afterall!

Earlier this week I told my boss I needed more work to do. He had a BRILLIANT suggestion. He suggested I come work near him (in a building about 4 blocks from my usual haunt) part-time to help him with a few things. There happened to be an empty cube just a few feet from his, on the FIFTH floor, with a WINDOW, with a beautiful view of the capitol park and capitol building!  It's only part time in this office - I work between the two but I can work from this desk anytime I want.  Daylight is good!
But wait.. it get's better!  Knowing that my time at this agency is limited I've been campaigning for unique, continued employment.  The plan I've been pitching is 1/2 time work from northern Washington.  I could continue doing my job remotely using all the new-fangled technology we have these days.  I can do anything and everything over the internet - including attending meetings.  And it would be only 1/2 time - which means I'd have time for my goats (and Peter).  My boss informed me today that he fully supports my scheme.and is willing to go to bat for me with the higher ups of the agency.

How exciting!

1 comment: