Sunday, March 11, 2012

I . Am . A . GENIUS!

There is a TV show called "My strange obsession."  Boy there are some very weird people on that show!  I haven't watched it, we don't get that channel here, I've just seen interviews with these people on talk shows.  The other day I saw an interview with a woman who slept with her blow dryer. 

That's a problem?  I totally get it.

I don't actually sleep with my blow dryer but it's cold up here in the north country and my sheets are COLD by the time I'm ready to crawl into them at night.  I've taken to warming the sheets with the blow dryer before I crawl into them and then letting the heat blow over me while I wait for Peter to brush his teeth and come to bed.

In truth though I've always been obsessed with hot blowing air.  Forced air heat is my personal weakness.  When I was a child my mom would wake my brother and I for school.  We would race to the dining room heat vent.  It was the best vent in the house.  He is 4 years older than I am and would usually beat met to the vent.  I would have to settle on the second best living room vent.

I used to sit on the heater and let my shirt fill with the hot air.  Sometimes I would pull a blanket over my head creating a tent of hot, blowing comfort.

Late in my pregnancy with my son I couldn't get comfortable in any position.  Finally I discovered I could sit in a bean bag chair next to the heater vent, I grabbed a blanket and found my own personal bliss.  The chair supported the parts of me that needed it and the heat provided a totally different, but equally as necessary, bit of comfort.  Unfortunately I needed assistance getting OUT of the chair.

In recent years I if I couldn't sleep I would turn on the house heater and curl up on the floor.  I would usually be asleep in minutes.  Napping was done on the floor as well.  If I don't feel well, it's the heater vent and floor. 

To me the hot air is like a warm hug.  It provides comfort and envokes memories of safety and peace and childhood and really really good emotions.

The problem I'm running into is that our floors are hard and I'm getting older.  No matter how difficult it becomes to get down to the floor or back up again I can't possibly give it up.  Yes. I'm obsessed.

This is where the genius part comes in..  The other day I took a strip of fabric and sewed it into a tube.  I added some elastic and put it around the heater vent cover.  Then I fed the tube up through the headboard of the bed and between the pillows. 


Now I have a bed warmer AND my forced air heat.  It is a little slice of heaven.  No more floor napping for me!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sharon, You ARE a genius! I have lots of fabric, but NEVER thought to run a tube of hot air to my bed. I just have that spare hair dryer plugged in to warm the sheets when it gets that cold. Looking forward to trying out your guest room. Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete