Friday, March 9, 2012

Ready for guests!

The guest room is ready.

It's been a long couple weeks.  Since the last time I posted I've made two trips to Salem.  The first trip was the "usual" one we take so Peter can attend a class in Portland.  The next trip I went alone.  It was the first time Peter and I have been apart since we got married. The first night I was gone I got a hotel with a big king-size bed thinking it would be so lovely to have all that room.  I slept terribly.  I only used a small portion of the space and kept waking up looking for Peter.  I repeatedly stretched my toes over to his side of the bed and they didn't run into his feet.  He's SUPPOSED to be right next to me.  Peter not being there was just wrong!   The second night I was too tired to notice.

The reason I headed south was to spend some time with my children. 

My daughter got her own little apartment and needed help getting her stuff from her dad's house in Vancouver to Salem and into her new place.  She and I did the whole move ourselves.  We are women, hear us roar!  Her place is a very cute little studio apartment, with a murphy bed even - but it's her space and she doesn't have to share.  She is a happy camper.

The second reason I went south - not that helping Jill was not reason enough - was because my daughter-in-law's mother passed away quite unexpectedly and I just felt like my son and his wife might need THIS mom around.  Unfortunately I didn't get to spend much time with them - but I hope my presence helped just a little.

Despite all this running around - our guest room is done.  I was thinking that I have touched every square inch of surface in that room at least twice. 

I scraped the ceiling, then re-scraped it because I did a lousy job the first time, then sanded, then patched dents and holes and sanded again.  Then I painted it.

I scraped the wallpaper off the walls, sanded, patched, repaired, sanded again. One coat of Kilz (more mold prevention), one coat of primer, one coat of honeydew, then more honeydew to cover up the lousy job I did the first time..

I tore up the carpet, scraped up the glue and foam rubber, sanded what was left, vacuumed and then crawled around on my hands and knees wiping every bit of dust off the floor and the walls.


Now.. Who is going to be the first to come visiting?

No comments:

Post a Comment