Saturday, February 25, 2012

I got a job!

NW Handspun Yarns is a local (Bellingham) business that has the most delightful atmosphere and merchandise.  It has an upstairs where you can just go in and knit and hang out.  They have knit nights and knit days and classes and gatherings.  It's where I got my spinning wheel.  Last November I went out to their website in search of a drum carder.  I knew they had one in the store but I wanted to know how much it was.  Their site was not helpful.  So I sent a email off to the owner offering my services on their website.  I didn't hear a word for over two months!  Two weeks ago I finally heard back.

The perks of the job are:  I get to work from home most of the time. When I'm not working from home I'll be surrounded by yarn and spinning wheels and fiber and lovely artsy people. I can pick my own hours. I can work as much or as little as I want to. My job is updating, and keeping up-to-date, this website: NW Handspun Yarns.

There is only one downside of this job:  No pay.  None.  But really that's perfectly okay by me.  The upside of not getting paid allows me the freedom and flexibility I insist on.  Also working with them get's me out of the house and allows me to keep active in my profession.  When, and if, I start looking for a job for real I will have something new to add to my resume, I'm getting experience with software I'm not familiar with and I'm making excellent business contacts.

Despite all the excitement about my new job I'm making slow progress on the guest room.  It's not going as fast as I'd like.  The room is pretty well gutted.  The wallpaper is off the walls, they are suitably sanded and patched, the texture is off the ceiling.  I am nearly ready to start painting.  One small hitch though. I was trying to "tap" in a thing on the wall and in so doing I put the hammer right through it.  I made a nice big hole in the wall in the shape of a hammer head.  I'm considering drawing in eyes and a nose, putting a frame around it and calling it art.  It would be way easier than fixing the stupid thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment