Monday, February 13, 2012

Bagels and honeydew - a yummy combination

The office is done - short of re-installing the trim and hanging the curtains.  Yay!   I managed to work through the wallpaper fiasco.  The paint I chose is called "bagel."  So I could get an idea of the color I had selected, I smeared some of my bagel on my walls several days before I was actually ready to paint.  I hated it.  I was ready to toss the can away and start over.  But it was expensive paint from a hoity-toity paint store.  (I thought I'd see if expensive paint makes a difference.  I don't think it does.)

I had two visitors come by while my smeared bagel was on the wall and I dragged them both into the room to see what they thought.  One politely said it might look better with more of it.  The other said she had rooms that color once and really never cared for it at all.

Not very encouraging.

I am not one to throw in the towel that quickly.  The financial investment was made and all it would cost me by going forward was some physical labor.  That stuff is cheap.  I decided to embrace my bagel.  Make it my own.  I would learn to love it.  Surprisingly, I really do like the way it turned out plus I have learned that I should not smear paint samples on the wall.  It just makes me nervous.

In my continued efforts to live within my means  (aka unemployment compensation) and given that curtains are so expensive I like to think I was clever and stylish.  Target had plain canvas roman shades on clearance for less that $10.00 a piece, so I bought two  (because I have two windows.. sheesh).  I also purchased a philodendron leaf stencil.  I stenciled the leaf onto the curtain with the bagel, as well as the color of paint from the adjoining dining room (honeydew).


And then I took the honeydew and stenciled the walls in the office.


It was a very inexpensive solution.  I hope it doesn't look cheesey.  I like it but I think Peter is just humoring me again.

Now, assuming I get the trim and curtains done tonight, tomorrow will be spent on goat shop plans.  I have to acquire a business license, apply for a booth at the Farmers Market and I need to increase my "stock" of merchandise to sell.  Enough of this home remodeling - I have priorities!!

No comments:

Post a Comment