Monday, March 19, 2012

Wild Hare

I was planning on taking a break after the guest room remodel.  I set up my loom and spent some very luxurious time weaving a table runner out of purple and turquoise with a hint of sparkle  (I love sparkle!).  I also created a set of matching coasters that turned out quite terrible.  I'm not sure I can salvage them or if they must be tossed in a fire when no one is looking - their entire existence denied.  Coasters?  What coasters?

 
I've also started knitting a sweater.  It is a new challenge, knitting something so large and created in pieces. It's slow going but I am making progress.  It'll probably be done mid-summer - when it will be too hot to wear it.  I shall wear it anyway.  Harumph.

Despite having plenty of spinning, knitting and weaving to keep myself occupied I got a wild hare the other day.  I was sitting on the sofa and looked into my kitchen.  My very beige kitchen.  Very beige.  The ceiling and the walls were beige.  "Enough of the beige!"  I exclaimed to myself.  I snatched up my Sherwin Williams color strips  (they give them away for free you know!)  and thumbed through all the possibilities. 


After pondering oranges and lilacs and whites and blues I eventually picked out the strip, #129 - Yellow.  Peter narrowed down the choices to two of them.  I made the final selection:  Lemon Twist.  For those of you who remember my beloved yellow truck it is almost exactly the same color.

Just to mess with myself, when I got the paint home I smeared some on the wall.  My habit is to dislike it intensely when I do that - only to fall in love with it once I have it on the walls.  I should have suspected a problem - I loved my yellow smear immediately.  It was bright and cheerful and it made me smile.

I did not take a before picture of my kitchen.  Silly me.  But I did grab a photo of it before I had ALL the beige covered.  The ceiling was in the process of going white in this photo.


This is what it looks like now:


I'm not sure I like it.  It's way bright.  A little overwhelmingly yellow.  Okay,  a LOT overwhelmingly yellow.  Perhaps it will get better with time. Peter just keeps shaking his head bemusedly saying, "it's different..."  

I have decided I don't like painting.  This paint job was extremely painful. I dripped paint on the floor, on the counters and on me.  I dropped the roller and painted one cabinet yellow.  There was so much trim work and the yellow was very unforgiving.  The paint ran and dripped.  One coat wasn't enough and I spent today applying coat number two.  I was miserable through the whole thing and poor Peter had to listen to me whine and complain.

The laundry room still needs painting, as does the bathrooms and the hallway and the two back bedrooms but I think I shall wait awhile before tackling those.  Although - when thumbing through my color strips, I did fall in love with this color called "waterfall" for my bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment