Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Stupid Table

It's all that stupid table's fault. 

It started off innocently enough with a search for white paint for the table.  Instead I stumbled upon ceiling paint.  Ceiling paint I used on the bathroom ceiling - which as I predicted led to a need for new wall paint - which as I predicted led to a need for a new toilet - which led to a need for a new floor - and new cove molding - and a new sink - and a new faucet - and a new mirror..  I don't really have a proper "before" photo but here are a couple of "after" ones:



I wasn't going to purchase a new toilet.  Peter had one stashed in the back of the garage that was salvaged out of an old home belonging to his uncle.  My first thought was, "EWWWWW.  uh.. no.  uh-uh.  I don't think so!"  Then I went out to look at it.  I had to climb over wood and spare flooring, paint cans and furniture.  I ducked under a few spider webs and walked through a few more to get to it.  I looked at it.  It was white (a plus), it was nasty-dirty (a minus), it had some nice art-deco angles to it (a plus), a dead mouse in the bowl (a minus).  We dug it out to get a better look at the beast.   Once you got past the disgusting grime and goo it was a nice piece of porcelain.    I decided it would be a fine addition to my house. 

The next day I got out the scrub brush, the rubber gloves, and a big tub of elbow grease.  I scrubbed and washed and cleaned.  I fished (literally) 6 dead mice out of the bowl.  EWW.  The bottom half of the toilet ended up looking quite clean and lovely!  Then I tackled the tank - I cleaned and scrubbed and polished.  No dead mice here!  The tank wasn't getting as clean as the bowl though and I had to scrub extra hard.  In fact I scrubbed the tank right into pieces.  Sigh.. Yep.  I broke it. 

I got a new toilet.  It has a bit of an art deco shape to it.  It's white.  There are no dead mice in it.

Of course, plumbing is not my strong suit.  Peter had his own job to do - plus this was MY project.  So the plumbing was all mine.  Whee! 

I installed the sink, breaking the P-trap in the process necessitating a run to town for a new one.  My supply line to the toilet was too short, necessitating another trip to town, repeatedly to get the right size.  And then the worst - not fastening the tank to the bowl properly causing a small geyser in my newly polished bathroom.  Sigh.   It was all eventually plumbed properly and I have a fine bathroom. 

I think my next project is going to be the second guest bedroom.  Check out the lovely vinyl floor in there.

2 comments:

  1. Slow down tiger!

    You will need some energy when Susan and I get there in July!

    ReplyDelete