Thursday, May 29, 2014

Our flock became 16

More about chickens..

Just a little more.
and then I'm done.
Probably.

The "egg guy" gave us a beautiful silver laced cochin pre-named Helen.  Naturally I had to name my other silver laced cochin Helen.  Now I have the two Helens.

I used to have an Aunt Helen.  She was my mother's older sister.  This got me to thinking and I was compelled by some unknown power to name my cuckoo marans Ruby, after my father's sister.  I've had them a year.  It's about time I named them.  Now I have the two Ruby's.

The cochin breed of chicken has quickly become my favorite.  They are very sociable and they have cute little feathers on their legs and feet.

Peter had tempted me last week with a couple of buff cochin and I resisted as best I could but finally caved in.  Unfortunately there was only one buff one left by the time I got there. I compromised by getting a white one to go with the buff one.  I have named them Leila because I have an Aunt Leila.

While I was busy picking out the Leila's, The Carmela's caught my attention.  (Yes, I have an Aunt Carmela..) They are partridge cochin.

Aren't they cute?
From Left to Right:  Carmela, Carmela, Leila, Leila

I also have or had an Aunt Bette, Aunt Louise, Aunt LuraMae.  It seems I will need to get a lot more chickens...

No comments:

Post a Comment