Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Shirley's got a brand new bag.

Let me tell you about my friend Shirley.

A year or so ago she discovered that I had a quilt top made by my grandmother and her twin sister somewhere around 1940. She took it to her quilting group (the Galloping Horse Quilters of Portland Oregon) who turned it into an incredible masterpiece, handstitching everything to keep with the era and technique's it was started with. She would not take payment for this.

Last fall when my son crashed his car on I-5 and I had to frantically dash to Redding, CA Shirley stayed at my house and took care of my animals. She stayed without hesitation, without a change of clothes, without a toothbrush. She lives 50 miles north of me and didn't even go back home for clean underwear (okay.. that might be too much information.. there ARE Targets around here.. maybe she bought some). I thanked her heartily.. but let's face it, that's a little lame.

A few months ago she stayed again. With more notice (and a change of clothes), but she stayed for part of a week so that I could go north to Peters and "get away" from it all before I started my new job.

I have made her a felted bag. She chose the colors.. they are heather and pink. I chose the pattern. It's taken far too long to make this bag but it was made with love and gratitude.

Thank you Shirley.

Knitted but not felted:














Felting #1:




Final Felting #2:


1 comment: