Sunday, October 23, 2011

Baby Wolf

I need a Fiber Studio!  A big one.  Yesterday I purchased a Schact Baby Wolf Floor Loom.  It looks like this  (only without the textile on it)
I bought it used for less than 1/2 the price new.  The perk of buying used is that the previous owner has accessories.  Loom benches, shuttles, books, videos, yarn, fleeces, warping boards, hooks, samples, and more that she just "threw in."  She's 81 and getting out of the business. 

Haha - the funny thing is I have absolutely no idea how to use a loom.  Thank goodness she's throwing in all the books.  I just assume I'll like weaving.  Man.. I hope I do.

I also swapped three buckets of potatoes for a car full (literally) of fleece:  mirano wool, alpaca, romney - some custom dyed.  I turned down the samoyed.  I don't think I'm ready to work with dog hair yet.

So now I have 2 looms - this one and a very very tiny one given to me earlier this year.  I have two spinning wheels - my antique one and my new one.  I have boxes and boxes of yarn and roving and fleeces. 

And I'm living in 650 square feet. 

What was I thinking??

Peter says I can use one of the bedrooms in the farm house as a studio, once we move but in the mean time I think I have problems.  I might have to rent a storage unit.

On a similar front.  I really do need to come up with a suitable business name.  I've decided "My little goat shop" is not really a good one for a business.  Perfect for a blog and a dream, but not so much for a business.

So..  Help me choose:
  • Woolingdon Farms  (get it.. Willingdon... Woolingdon?)
  • Phase 2 Phibers  (Finished with the corporate world and now on to this new adventure)
Any other ideas?  Help.. really - I'm about to register for a booth at next year's Lynden Farmer's Market and I need a name soon..

2 comments:

  1. I toyed with this idea many years ago but decided the product wasn't what motivated me. At that time I was going to name my business "A Sheep Named Shirley." Tags would read "Made by A Sheep Named Shirley." So maybe you would have a goat named Gretta or something. You go girl! My dream is next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought "Hotho" was a cool name, so you should find a way to use it. Sounds artistic. Also be a nice tribute to your folks. You can "adopt" it for your business, which kind of brings things full circle.

    -- E.

    ReplyDelete