Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I have a dream..

I have a dream.  It's a dream of a fiber studio. 

I've thought about this long and hard.  For more than a few minutes even.  I want a place to weave, spin, dye and knit away from the house. 

I can see myself getting up in the morning and skipping happily out to my studio.  I could spend all day in the studio creating wonderous things and not feeling guilty that I haven't left the house in days.  Because I will have.  It would be like getting up and going to the office every day - only WAY better.  WAY.

We have a large white 3-room shed/schoolhouse in the back under the trees.  I asked Peter if he minded if I turned one room into my studio.  He replied: "this is your house too - you can do whatever you want."  Ahh... I like that man.  :)

Anyway - the building is a wreck.  It has no doors.  It has studs for interior walls - but no sheetrock or insulation.  The existing floor is plywood and it's full of stuff.  It has no heat.  This is what it looks like:


I have a friend/neighbor (friendly neighbor?  Freighbor?) who has a "party barn" that is my inspiration for the task I'm about to tackle.  Her party barn is so clever and attractive.  I think I can do something like that.  I hope she doesn't mind that I copy her style just a little.

The room is 11 x 24.  A fine size.  The exterior door opening is a double door.  I picture sliding glass doors.  I'd prefer french doors but I think sliders are more in my budget.  I'll put up sheetrock and paint it white and bright.  I'll hang a beautiful re-claimed chandelier from the vaulted ceiling and put down wood floors and a big warm area rug.  I'll add left over cozy furniture from the house  (we have way too much) where I, and my friends, can sit and knit or spin or visit.  I'll hook up my wood stove for heat.

I will create a lovely path lined with hostas and ferns through the woods from house to studio.  I'll need a small deck outside my shiny new doors too.

I started today by clearing out the room.  It's better but not great.  I've a long way to go.  I think the next thing is doors.  Next week I'll go shopping for doors. 

1 comment: