Friday, November 11, 2011

Baby Wolf's first run..

I took my baby wolf out for it's first run today.  I decided that rather than starting from scratch I would try to use what was already on the loom.  It wasn't a mess - but it was sure something I couldn't figure out.  So I undid all the heddle threading the previous owner had started.  I unwound all the yarn and THEN I ended up with a mess.  The cats were quite intrigued by the process and really wanted to help.


I eventually got it straightened out.  Not an easy task.  There were 99 warp ends.  (that means 99 strings - see I'm learning the lingo!)


I decided on a simple basic basket weave and began pulling the warp ends through each heddle as appropriate.  I finished a third of them before I figured out that I had neglected to find the middle.  You MUST center the threads on the loom or everything goes whacky (no .. that's not official weaving lingo).  It was an important lesson learned that I shall certainly remember in the future.

Finally - everything was threaded and ready to go.  Seriously - 5 hours into the project I finally had it ready to actually weave.  I feel confident that as time goes by this process will be less cumbersome.
I hope. 

20 minutes later I had actual fabric!  How exciting.  The process began going much faster and I'm quite pleased.


And..  miraculously within a few hours I had an actual thing.  A thing I tell you!


Now I want to figure out how to set the treadles and heddles to create a twill.  So far I'm not understanding the drafting of such a project.  There is a weaving guild that meets in the same place as my spinning guild that I shall maybe have to join soon.  They can probably help me over the rough edges.

I am now faced with a daily conundrum..

Should I knit?
Should I spin?
Should I weave?

My life is so complicated!!

1 comment: