Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010 already!

Jill, her friend Zeke, and I went up to Peter's for the holiday.

New Years Eve we worked (as always on a farm). This time we gathered broken branches and sticks. We spent hours gathering sticks and branches and barely made a dent in the overall quantity of them. The reward for our labor was a bonfire from all the wood we gathered.

Peter's Mom made us "ollie bollen" - a Dutch fried bread that is traditionally served on New Years Day. This one looked like a warthog. It was kind of creepy.

On New Years day we went sight seeing. We went to Bellingham Bay and then to Deception Pass. Honestly, the kids had had enough sightseeing after freezing in the wind and rain at the Bay that getting them to agree to a trip to Deception Pass was a lot of work. We had to convince them of magnificent vistas and breathtaking heights and historic significance and how this would give them something to brag about to their friends. It was an hour-long drive to the Pass. By the time we were 1/2 way there - they were both sound asleep. Just before the actual Deception Pass, we crossed a very unremarkable, small, concrete bridge over a tiny little stream right next to a road with a great big signpost "Deception Rd."

I whispered to Peter, "We should stop here and tell the kids THIS is what we were talking about."

We stopped the car, woke them up and announced our arrival at the famed Deception Pass. We got out, Peter grabbed his camera, I walked toward the bridge and proclaimed, "Wow Peter! It's just as beautiful as always!"

The kids looked confused.

Peter was no help at all because he could not speak. He was desperately trying to hide his laughter by leaning over the railing. His laughter caused me to start giggling and pretty soon the two of us were laughing so hard at our own joke we had tears in our eyes. Zeke thought it was funny. My daughter proclaimed us both stupid at first - but then got into the spirit of the moment.

5 minutes later we were at the actual Deception Pass. Definately worth the trip. It's so very beautiful. We spent an hour or so scrambling about on the rocks and admiring the view.

Then we went bowling. I lost. I hate it when that happens!

1 comment:

  1. Happy new year goat lady!

    My clan went to Deception Pass several years ago. They thought it was funny that I was too scared to walk out on the bridge. I was admiring the view from the end of the south end of the bridge and the next thing I knew they were all out in the middle! They tried to coax me out, but I would not budge. I did not hear the end of it for several days.

    ReplyDelete