Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Success with knitting - I felt it!

For Christmas I got a knitting calendar. Inside was a pattern for a "Stash Buster Bowl." According to the directions it is THE thing to make for your man to prove to him he likes knitted things. I'm not so sure about that - it seems like such a chauvinistic comment, but whatever! I wanted to make that bowl despite the description and the "intermediate level" stamped on the pattern. It looked intriguing and it involved felting.
Felting is where you use wool yarn, purposely make the item too big and then purposely shrink the crap out of it. The shrinking changes the properties of the wool yarn and other technical stuff I don't understand but was really interested in.

So I made a stash buster bowl. It turned out EXACTLY like it was supposed to. I'm so excited! I'm making another. Below is a photo of the finished product, next to the wool yarn I used and the beginnings of the next one. After I finish this I'm going to make a felted purse (pattern courtesy of my calendar and listed as an easy project).

It's all so exciting!

1 comment: