Sunday, December 5, 2010

Down in the dumps

My house went on a crash diet. One day, 1100 pounds. The Monday before Thanksgiving Peter and I tore down the temporary wall we had put up to make a room for my mom out of the dining room. (Was that a proper sentence? I don't think so.) I have my dining room back though!

The result of the tear-down was a garage full of drywall, 2x4's and assorted de-construction debris. I also had bits and pieces of decking from the deck replacement I did several years ago stacked in a corner of the yard. I had firewood that was gathered for camping trips but instead sat in the rain rotting and like any normal household (I choose to believe) I had broken this, damaged that, old those and some trashed whazzits. Three trips to the dump later it's all gone!
It's such a liberating feeling. I could probably have made a 4th trip - but by the end of the day, which also included a trip to the Christmas tree farm, mowing lawns, raking leaves, sweeping debris, cutting up drywall, pallets, boards and other stuff, I was exhausted . I'm encouraged and I am casting my eyes around the place trying to identify what can go next.
Of course I have a chicken story too! I was working on the cement pad on the side of the house yesterday cutting up stuff to make it fit in my SUV. I was making noise. Lots of noise. On the other side of the gate were my chickens. They could hear me. They were curious about the racket. Carmen flew up onto the gate to see what I was doing. Who knew chickens were curious? Now I have to worry about my chickens visiting the neighbors!
And then there is the dog. I have no explanation for this. It's like.. uh. against the laws of nature or something. Dog & Katten sleeping together.. it's just wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment