Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mary Hotho

Mom, about 1942
My mom died Monday.  It was swift and peaceful.  She had been struggling with her health for years, she was so very tired and I know she was confident she had finished her business here.

Within hours my brother, Jerry was on a plane headed west, Peter was in his car headed south and my friend Sherry showed up at my door to "just be there" for me.  I am blessed by these people and so many others.  This world is full of good humans.

As Jerry and I were sitting at the funeral home yesterday we were charged with writing her obituary.  Not an easy task, but they had this handy form to prompt your memories and give you ideas to write about.  A couple things came to light.  Mom loved flowers.  She could bring a dead, shriveled up, hopeless scrap of a plant back to life and make it explode in the glory of it's plantness.  It would thrive and grow.  I shall never see an angel wing begonia and not think of her. 

The second thing that stood out about my mom is her love for her family.  She struggled long and hard for children and considered Jerry and I precious gifts, rarely letting an opportunity pass without letting us know.  In fact, while going through her things yesterday we found several notes confirming that very thing, specifically put there for us to find after she "was gone."

My mom's love for us was so strong it was sometimes stifling.  Jerry wasn't allowed to go to Germany and I wasn't allowed to smoke, drink, have sex or go outside the boundaries of 82nd, 182nd, Powell and Halsey without permission.  It was completely awful.  (not.)

Mom taught me to be strong, to allow myself to depend on another, as long as I knew I could do it on my own if I had to.  She taught me to bake, sew, swing a hammer, pour concrete and tear up concrete.  She never managed to teach me to do laundry very well.  I can live with that.

Cleverly and subtly, by example, she taught me to pay attention to which garage door I opened before backing the car out.  She taught me drills can go in reverse and that drilling 100+ holes takes a lot longer if that is the setting.  She taught me how to be a good mom.

She taught me to love my children, to love my life and to appreciate all the wonders in the world.

Now.. for a few of my favorite Mom quotes:
  • Look kids!  There's a deer!
  • Look kids!  There's a hawk!
  • Look kids!  A mailbox!
  • Why would he buy the cow when he can get the milk for free??
  • I should trade you for a rubber duck!
  • Well plutycrat!  (that would be pronounced ploo-teeee-crat)
  • Call me when you get there!
  • You know what I thought did? (except I could never actually remember what I thought did)

Mary Hotho, 1925 - 2010
Ernie Hotho, 1928 - 1992

Love you Mom.  Say Hi to Dad.  Call me when you get there.

4 comments:

  1. As usual, you make words come to life and tears to my eyes. I love your mom for loving you so much and to have taught you how to be wonderful. She did a great job, as you are wonderful and loving and you have been giving all of that to Kyle and Jill. You are fortunate to have had a mom you could admire. Thank you for sharing your mom with me. lu, sand

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss, what a beautiful tribute you've written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the writing about your Mom and the picture was cute at the end. I remember so many things about the years gone by, and that was what we enjoyed talking about so much. We shall miss her so much. She always called Uncle Art "you old poop". So he always told her that, even when she was not herself, and she knew who that was. Bless her heart, she did get lots better after that, so that was a good thing. Glad Jerry could come out to be with you, and that Pete came as well as your friend from Portland, I think it was. She is with your Dad now. Love, the other Hotho's

    ReplyDelete