Monday, December 27, 2010

Hello Stranger!

Me:  Allow me to re-introduce myself.  My name is Sharon.  I'm your owner.
Poor Abandoned, Neglected Treadmill:  Who? 
Me:  Your owner.  I know you haven't seen me in months but I'm here to re-stake my claim as your rightful lord and master.
Treadmill: I don't know you.  MY owner promised to take me for walks and runs and promised to never use me as a clothes hanger.  I've been sitting out here, alone, in the cold, with nothing but a bunch of junk to snuggle with.
Me:  I know.  I'm sorry.  But in all fairness.  I haven't used you as a clothes hanger.  You've been more like storage shelves, what with the boxes and other assorted stuff stacked upon your belt.
TreadmillOoof!  uh.. put on a little?  I'm not sure I'm rated for this much. Have you checked the manual?
Me:  Be nice.  You'll be fine.  Hey.. crank up the music a bit, would ya?  I can't hear it over my wheezing.
Treadmill:  Spandex??!  Really?  Even Lycra has it's limits!  What happened to you anyway?
Me:  I said be nice!  It's been a rough year and a half.  I lost a couple friends to cancer.  My dog died.  My guinea pig died.  I lost my job.  I lost my Mom to dementia, then she died too.  My son moved out, he crashed his car, my daughter is growing up and is getting increasingly challenging.  It's been rough.  I tried to eat my way through the pain.
Treadmill:  I'm sorry.  Really I am.  How'd that work out for you?
Me:  Not so well.
Treadmill:  I can tell.  You should have come to see me instead.  I could have helped.
Me:  Yeah, I know.  Sometimes the right thing isn't always the easiest thing.  Besides, I was raised to believe that food fixes everything.
Treadmill:  I could have told you that wouldn't work.
Me:  NOW you tell me.    What is that incessant pounding I hear??
Treadmill:  I think that's your heart rate.  It appears to be off the charts.
Me:  Whew. I should probably stop before something important bursts.  I'll see you again soon though.  Maybe next time we can get through a second song on the mp3 player.
Treadmill:  Come back anytime.  I'll be waiting.

1 comment:

  1. Go get 'em, gal! It took my mother's passing to get me off my duff and take care of myself. She'll be gone a year come Tuesday and in that time I've dropped about 25 pounds and taken up weight lifting. The motivation is that I want to be able to get out of bed when I'm 80.

    You've got it in you to see it through! Don't want to be huffing and puffing as the P-man drags you up another mountain!

    ReplyDelete