Wednesday, March 2, 2011

No goats for me. Nope.

I just don’t have the stomach for it. I’ve been reading.

Yesterday I was convinced that Pygora goats were for me. They are a cross between a pygmy and an angora goat. They produce lovely fiber and adequate milk for a small operation. They are too small for meat goats and they are the friendliest and cutest of all goats.

Yesterday I was excited and looking forward to having these lovely little creatures in my life.

Today I read about kidding and weaning and girl goats vs. boy goats.

Today I read about vaccinations and diseases and feeding requirements.

Today I read about castration.

Today I have decided not to have goats.

4 comments:

  1. Oh.. I'll probably do it anyway. But there will be no dis-budding (which will cause problems) and no castration (which will cause bigger problems) and no yanking the babes away from their moms (which will mean no milk for me). When all this non-management of my flock causes complete and utter chaos I'll decide that I should do it and then I'll get out the rubber bands and let the castrations begin!

    Or I'll ask Peter to do it when I'm out of town for a few days..

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also crap all over and their pee smells. Just so you know.

    -- EJA

    ReplyDelete
  3. the un-common-taterMarch 9, 2011 at 7:25 AM

    It's so good to have an optimist in the bunch, EJA. If you keep them on your roof it contains it to a small area. And the Billies' pee smells bad, the does' doesn't, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete