Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I LOVE Hawaii.. Just love it.

Jill took a surfing lesson today.  She loved it.  She had a ball. She got right up on that board and went for it.    She's a natural.  And of course, she was busy planning out her surfer girl dreams before we even got back to the hotel.   She wants to move to Hawaii, go to college here, sell her art work at the local shops, surf every chance she gets.  Ahh.. the dreams and passions of youth...

This afternoon we went to Honalua Preserve to go snorkeling.

Honalua Preserve is on the west-most tip of Maui.  It is on private land that the owner opens to the public.  They have an on-site care-taker and an entire set of rules.  No sunscreen.  No touching.  No taking.  No standing.  No wandering.  All good rules to make the experience fun AND safe to the environment.

The three of us snorkeled about for quite awhile.  We saw red fish, blue fish, one fish, two fish.  We saw yellow fish and sea urchins and trumpet fish and parrot fish and all kinds of fish.  It was amazing the diverstiy of sea life we saw in such a small location.  I was in awe.

At one point Peter gestured to me to lift my head out of the water.  He removed the snorkel from his mouth and said in that nasal-ee twang you get when half your face is covered by mask:

Will you barry be?

I knew he meant:  "Will you marry me?"  but it was somewhat unexpected - the timing - you know?  It was funny because his lips were all pushed out funny because of the dive mask and I immediately got nervous so I started to giggle.  Then I started to full on laugh.  Of course I eventually managed a hearty "YES!"    He tells me my laughter was not the response he expected.  I feel bad.  Well - maybe not so much - but definately a little.

So now I'm  officially engaged.  Peter has managed to finally shed the title "my fella" in exchange for the title "my fiance."  I totally prefer that title. 

Mahalo!

1 comment: