Saturday, July 9, 2011

July 7, 2011

I know TODAY is July 8th.  But YESTERDAY was July 7th.  Yesterday was very busy.

You see. . .  Peter and I had a plan.  About two weeks ago - well after we made arrangements to take Jill to Hawaii for her graduation/birthday gift - we decided  (this is a very abbreviated version of the decision making process)  to "just get married" during the trip. 

Oddly enough, he never actually asked me to marry him.  I told him that if we were standing in front of the minister and she said:  "do you Sharon..?"  I would say "No! He hasn't asked me yet!!"  That's why he finally asked on Wednesday.  I made him. 

Peter's assigned task for our clandestine event was to make the arrangements in Hawaii.  My tasks were: find myself an appropriate dress, not tell ANYONE  (a huge chore for me!!) anything, and to get Jill an appropriate dress while not telling her why.  I did tell Kyle - I wanted him to know but no one else knew!  It was very fun.

Surprisingly, I found the perfect dress for myself in under 20 minutes.  It was the third dress I tried on.  Then I spun a yarn to Jill about how Peter was taking us to a fancy schmancy dinner and that we needed formal wear.  I found the perfect dress for her.  It was a clearance prom dress that had a decidedly Hawaiin flare and small train.  Perfect for a Maid of Honor.  The problem was, she became worried I would not find such a perfect dress and that she would be over dressed for the mystery occasion.  So we shopped.  And shopped and shopped.  We spent days shopping for a dress for me but I was way too picky and nothing was ever good enough.  She got very worried.  Finally - the day before we left, while she was off hanging with her friends, I brought home my wedding dress and sewed it, and her dress, into a garment bag.  Sewed it shut tight.  I described the dress to her telling her it was green and quite suitable but that she couldn't see it because I'd already sewn up the bag.

Amazingly.. she never questioned it. 

She had a theory that Peter was going to propose at our fancy event (why else would we need to dress up so much??)  She just KNEW it.  Then he proposed in the water.  She was very confused.

Thursday morning we woke her up and said it was time for the big "to-do" and we had to get into our fancy clothes.  She was not happy.  It was early and she was tired.  I pulled her aside and said, "do you want to see my dress?"

She gasped.  She paused.   She put her hand over her mouth and said.. "It's white."  Then the light came on.. and she said.. "Are we getting married today??"

It was all great fun.  Thank you Maui-Angels.

After the ceremony we went to breakfast in our fancy finery, then off to the Lavender farm on Mt. Haleakala, and then last night we attended our Luau.


Today we did the road to Hana and we're now ready to drop.

It's a fine vacation indeed!

I want to add better photos - and will - but I'll have to wait until I get home.. sorry!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! The joke was on me. I just got back from LA, wanted to post "congratulations on your engagement," and damned if you didn't all but skip that step.

    Congratulations on your nuptials! From all you've written, Peter's a great guy, and every blog post about him reflects your happiness.

    All in all, your 2-year plan was a wild success, albeit it didn't quite turn out as you envisioned. As J. Lennon put it, "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

    Much love to both of you on this wonderful occasion.

    -- Evan

    ReplyDelete