Sunday, October 4, 2009

Success!

Finally, at long last, I made goat cheese! Picture me dancing, because I am!

Yesterday we took a country drive out to The Goat King's Daughter in Willamina and purchased fresh, out of the goat, goat's milk. It's a lovely farm with goats, chickens, ducks, turkeys, cats, dogs, children and more.

The trick was fresh - but not too fresh - goats milk and rennet.


Korinna told me that store bought goats milk will NEVER make cheese because of pasteurization process and how it alters the proteins. Brand new goats milk doesn't work either. You must let it get a day or two old.



I used the same process as before but instead of lemon juice or apple cider, I added Rennet.



Change happened! It was so exciting!


Before you knew it, I had cheese hanging and dripping.


It was perfect.


I wish I could taste it - but the directions say to let it refrigerate for at least 24 hours before tasting. Patience is not my virtue!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I should pay more attention - I did not know about your cheese struggles. I made cheese years ago - used raw milk and rennet. I don't remember the aging of the milk, but it was probably at least a day until we got it. Produced by a friend's cow.

    ReplyDelete