Monday, March 29, 2010

The weekend


Every year, for the last 19 (with the exception of one or two), my family has gone to the beach with another family for a long weekend in the spring. Usually over Easter, but sometimes spring break. This past weekend was the annual trip.

When we first began the tradi-tion our oldest children, were just infants. Over the years our families have grown and changed. This was the first year "the big boys" didn't join us. We missed them but managed to have a rocking good time just the same.

The weather was such a treat. It was beautiful during the day. Stormy and exciting at night. At night the winds howled. It hailed and rained ferociously. During the day we built fires and walked on the beach. We explored some lovely tide pools containing starfish, mussels, hermit crabs and all kinds of fascinating tide pool creatures. We experienced two late-afternoon minus tides that made an otherwise hidden beach accessible - if you were brave enough to scramble up and over some huge rocks and outcroppings. The beach was filled with agates. You could actually sit down and within arms reach gather more agates than your hands could hold. We brought back a couple pockets full. It's much like gold fever and I can't wait to go back!

The house we rented had a hot tub. We rented THIS house, in part, specifically because it had one, but only one of us brought a suit. Not very good planning.

On the way to the outlet mall to acquire cheap and ugly swim suits I spied a yarn store. I tell you.. I'm a bit obsessed. I have so much yarn already and projects stacked up for months, but I had to stop. I found unspun wool. Beautiful, hand-dyed merino wool ready for the spindle. And this yarn store is offering a class in hand-spinning in April. Mid-week, mid-day. cough cough.. I think I feel a sick day coming on...

No comments:

Post a Comment