Sunday, February 28, 2010

Get real!

We had an utterly wonderful weekend! (you need to appreciate that I didn't say udderly). Jill and I went to Peters on Friday.

Saturday was wonderful. Usually it's all work.. but the weather wasn't cooperative for outside work. Instead, Peter made breakfast for us: bacon, shrimp omelet & wonderful, delicious coffee (I taught him how to make it a couple years ago). Then off we went to this delightful yarn & quilt store in Bellingham called "Lynda's."

Unfortunately Lynda is disposing of the yarn end of her business. Fortunately, all the knitting stuff, yarn included, was on close out. I scored. Unfortunately, I don't get paid until Monday and I've already spent next month's disposable income.

Barnes & Noble was our next stop, to get a book on spinning yarn. Kyle has access to gobs of raw wool (straight from the sheep) and he's going to bring me some tomorrow.

There is a goat farm not far from Lynden that sells cashmere goats so we HAD to make a stop there. I talked quite a bit with the owners of the farm. I'm sure they think I'm a complete goon from the city since I asked such stupid questions. I was standing there in inch-deep muck with high heels and actually asked "how often do you shave cashmere goats?" I new the word was shear. Honest I did. But "shave" came out of my mouth. The woman I was talking to looked at me and said, "Shear. we SHEAR goats." I wanted to crawl under the car, but the muck kept me from it. The adorable kid to the right was one of twins. He's for sale. Or will be in a few weeks. I realized I am SO not ready for goats! Plus, this kid will grow up to be a Boer goat - not the kind I'm looking for at all. Didn't stop me from falling in love though. He was very hungry and sucked on our fingers looking for satisfaction anywhere he could find it.

I think I've decided to start with two cashmere and two dairy goats. (breed of dairy goat as yet undecided). But my dose of reality is that I'm simply not ready for goats. Plus, there is no reason to jump right into the deep end of the goat pellet pool. I've decided to postpone the goat portion of my plan for a few months or maybe a year, until everything else is well settled. Goats are a HUGE responsibility and I'm not sure I want to jump immediately into that after I leave here. I will need to construct shelter and prepare pasture before getting them as well.

After the trip to the goats (and a nap) we actually did some work. My little house & garden here in Salem has an abundance of iris and strawberries. Peter has rescued at least 200 iris and over 100 strawberry plants from here. Saturday we potted strawberries.

But the day wasn't over yet. After tea with Peter's mom, we went to Aldergrove, BC for world famous 5-pin bowling. Peter won the first game. I slaughtered him on the second game. Not only did Jill get the first strike, she shared some of her personal issues with us during bowling. It was a very special family bonding time.

After bowling we drove around Aldergrove pointing out to Jill all the Canadian things. "Look Jill, Canadian Houses." "Look Jill, Canada has dogs!" "Look Jill, Tim Hortons!" We also stopped at an ice rink and watched some Canadian boys play hockey. "Look Jill, Canadian boys!" As Peter said, we "smelled" Canadian Hockey. Such fun.

And as always, it was very disappointing to have to get in the car and head home. I don't belong here. I belong there.

1 comment:

  1. Sis, you are such a prolific writer. I enjoy everyone of your posts, getting insights here and chuckles there. I wish I was so verbose, but I have difficulty even putting a sentence together, let alone an entire story. Peter is lucky to have you. Jill, Kyle and I are stuck with you. But I am not complaining. Just saying.... Love ya! Bro

    ReplyDelete