Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mutella-Sportwolle Staufen-Wolle

I don't know exactly what that means but I went second-hand store-ing yesterday and found three hanks of the stuff for 49cents a hank. It's not the prettiest color and I later found out it means wool (I was pretty sure it did) but what a score! I'm certain I shall find some perfect use for it. I also bought three sets of knitting needles and an etui. I did not pay over 49 cents for anything.

I started a project Thursday night and finished it this morning. It was an exercise in learning new techniques. It was the first time I made something in pieces and then had to assemble it. Can you see the bumps in it? Those are knots that I had to learn how to make. The pattern called for chunky wool yarn (something I just can't find locally) so I tried using two smaller strands together - a purple and a white - yet another technique I had to figure out. I think it came out very nice. I just have NO idea what to use it for.















My house needs cleaning though. I wish someone would come and do it for me so I can concentrate on my knitting and not be so distracted by the chaos and clutter surrounding me. The laundry is piling up, the dust & dog hair are getting deeper and someone keeps dumping junk mail in a heap on the kitchen table.


I did get away from the knitting and the cluttered house today. Jill and I went to Ikea. 3 hours of wandering around in a daze in a maze. A person could get lost in that store. It was awfully fun. I bought a wire whisk. That's like going to Costco and only walking out with a bag of potato chips. It's unheard of. But, in fact, we also bought a plastic grocery bag holder/dispenser and a bookcase for Jill's room.

Yesterday I took mom out to lunch and to get her nails done. She's still looking for small trees in her food. You know.. the community trees. And she's still telling amazing tales.

Recently her 80-something year old friend Dorothy has gotten pregnant through some experiments (and some midnight rendezvous in a field). She also recently purchased the facility my mother lives in AND she's apparently turned to "working the night shift" (wink wink) in order to support all of her babies because the daddy to all the babies is a deadbeat. I asked my mom to think about it carefully and to decide if it was really possible that Dorothy had babies right now. My mother's reply in defense of Dorothy was "if Dorothy wanted to do it, she'd find a way!"

No comments:

Post a Comment