Monday, April 12, 2010

The egg, Jill, & I

Yesterday we played tourist on Whidbey Island. We prowled around Coupeville. We saw an orca spouting, We went to Ebey's Landing and poked around Isaac Ebey's house - which I love. We went to Fort Casey and explored all the ammunition chambers and assorted dark cavernous spaces. It was a good day.

Sadly, we had to come home today. Jill talked me into bringing a little bit of rural life with us. We brought home 4 (cross your fingers) fertilized chicken eggs. The two little ones would be the chicks fathered by the little white rooster on the banner. The two bigger eggs are, well, obviously from the bigger chickens and the bigger rooster.

We also brought home an incubator. What an adventure this will prove to be. Eggs need 21 days to hatch. If all goes well we'll be having a little birthday celebration about May 3. Are you excited? I'm excited. Jill is more excited. She's reading the book and she's assured me she'll turn the eggs and monitor the temperature and the humidity. I may be the chicken queen - but she is running the chicken nursery. Jill the chicken nanny.

No comments:

Post a Comment