Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Spinning wheels go 'round and 'round

So do drop spindles!

Today I tossed caution and work to the wind. I skipped out at noon and drove 60 miles west to Lincoln City just to attend a 2 hour drop spindle class. I made yarn (such as it is..) with a Turkish Drop Spindle. I know it doesn't look like much but I'm a beginner. A newbie. An amateur. A novice even.

There were 5 of us taking the class from a lovely woman named Bahkti (bach-tea). I really meant to ask what the originations of a name like that were.. but I got wrapped up with the fiber so quickly! Figuratively, not literally.

Bahkti made it look easy. I couldn't seem to get a consistent draft on the "now" section of the wool. I learned that when spinning wool there is "the past" section, "the now" section, and the "future" section. When spinning wool it is important to work in the "now" and not the past or the future. How zen. This will certainly take practice practice practice. And a drop spindle. I don't have one. I need to find one. The shop I took the class through was supposed to have some for sale - but the order didn't make it in time.

Now what do I do?? oooh.. maybe I can whittle one.. THAT's a skill I haven't learned yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment