Thursday, April 8, 2010

Go to College!

I've lost my job. I still go to work. I still get paid. But I have no work. About two weeks ago the work I was doing no longer exists. I go to work. I do my best to look like I'm working hard. It's brutal. Faking it is hard. I've asked my boss for work - but there is none to be had.
  • 15 years ago I was an awesome Novell Network Administrator.. Since then things have changed (welcome Active Directory) and those skills are now antiquated.
  • 15 years ago I could get into DOS and re-write .bat files and make all sorts of cool and awesome things happen on a desktop pc. Since then things have changed and those skills are now antiquated.. (DOS...what's DOS??)
  • 5 years ago I could make html sing and dance. Hello asp, cf, js, and more. bye bye html.
  • 3 years ago I was the technical trainer. On-line training and another employee has taken over.
  • 2 years ago I could write code like nobody's business in our Web Content Management Software. That software is now at end of life and being replaced - and handed over to another division.
  • I was once the GroupWise expert. GroupWise was replaced by Outlook about 18 months ago.
  • 6 months ago I was neck deep in Microsoft SharePoint creating sites and wikis and blogs and more. My agency has now scrapped that project.

Yesterday my employer started the process of figuring out what skills I have so that they can find a new place for me. The process involved defining my "desires" as far as a job goes. The concept is so alien to me. I'm 50 years old and find myself with no marketable skills, no degree and very worried.

If anyone knows of a job where they value socializing, knitting and drinking coffee, please send them my way! Of course, in a little over a year, I think I'll find my bliss...

- oh.. I've started a lovely hot pink beret for Jill. I'll show it to you soon. I'm almost done.

2 comments:

  1. Wanda tells me that you need to get with Tracy b/c Tracy has some work coming up for you and W says its not small stuff. I hope she's right. I know how hard it is to look busy. If you see this while north, hope you're enjoying your time with pww! <3

    ReplyDelete