Tuesday, May 11, 2010

No Peas for me. :(

The keepers of the pea jars met with me today. They said.. "You aren't qualified to eat peas! You aren't even qualified to eat pre-chewed peas! It's good we have a chance to get rid of you, a worthless, non-pea eating scallywag!"

They didn't really say that. But that's what it felt like. It was a HUGE blow to my ego. They were much more politically correct, of course. It was more like, "We were unable to place you at your current level, someone 'trumped your bump' in the blah blah blah position, and despite our best efforts (and we fought tooth and nail!) we were unable to justify your placement in the ISS4 class with the same duties you did for years but now don't have the common sense for..."

Blow to my ego or not, I'm GLAD I got tossed out. I maintained throughout this process that I did not want to bump anyone as I find this union procedure absolutely barbaric. I was backed into a corner and coerced into going through the process despite my best intentions. I may end up hungry, but my soul is at peace.

The bottom line is I'm out pounding the pavement looking for work (in case you hear of any.. or just want to buy a felted bag or yarmulke for a couple hundred bucks... ). I have commitments here in Salem that keep me from just running north (not that it isn't tempting) and I just can't bring myself to allow "the keeper of the pea-jar people" to decide when I'm going to start my new life. I had plans. Plans I intend to keep. I will find work and eliminate unnecessary expenditures and get myself through the next year one way or the other.

Ultimately, I'll do it my way, just like Robert Goulet.

2 comments:

  1. you should really look into selling your stuff on etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok well I don't know if you can sing, but I hope you don't sound like Robert Goulet! I actually have a silly story that surrounds that same song, but that will have to wait for another time when I can see you in person. You got your wish and that in itself makes me very happy for you!! love you kiddo!! <3

    ReplyDelete