Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Move it move it move it!

End of moving day one finds this blogger pooped.

I had this theory that since we were swapping houses I should not make any trips back and forth without my arms full.  So Peter's mom spent the day packing and boxing things up and I spent the day carting stuff from here to there and there to here.  Usually when one moves one at least has the trip back out to the moving van to gain some sort of recovery before the next armload.  Not today.

My trips back and forth were sufficiently hampered by pets. 

My cat, Monster, insisted on dashing out the door the second it was opened.  I would have to put my stuff down and dig under this and over that to fetch her and put her back.  I eventually had to incarcerate her in a pet carrier.

My chicken, Carmen was incredibly intrigued by all the goings on and she kept getting under foot.  Twice I found her on the porch trying to gain access to the inside of the house. 

House rules:  Cats stay in, chickens stay out and the dog has full rein.  To me these seem like simple rules.  I'm not sure why they struggle so.

By 4:00 I was telling Agnes (Peter's mom) that we still had our bedrooms to set up and there was no rush and we should stop moving stuff back and forth and concentrate on getting our bedrooms and the already moved items put away.  She happily agreed and when next I checked on her she was still packing things up.  This, of course, guilted me into continuing moving.  An hour later we had the same conversation with the same results.  An hour later the same thing.

Peter came home and did some of the heavy lifting.  By this point I was ready to drop but they both kept going.  How could I possibly stop?  By 7:00 I was almost ready to weep.  STOP MOVING ALREADY!

Fortunately they did finally stop.  However there is still a long way to go.  When I was finally allowed to sit, this is the view from a chair in my new living room.
Not very restful - but we're making it work.

Although there are many features I like in this farm house - a big kitchen, cove ceilings, arched doorway, I want to make some changes.  Most of the light fixtures (although I really REALLY like the one in the laundry room - it is trendily retro).  I want to paint everything.  Change the floors and the wallpaper.  Seriously.. Here's the wallpaper.  Should I keep it or should it go??  I'm voting for go.


Another thing I like about this house is that the master bedroom has it's own bathroom, with a BATHTUB!  I have a pile of stuff in there that still needs to be sorted through and put away - but I just think I may actually take a bath.    Ohhhh.. That'd be swell.

No comments:

Post a Comment