Saturday, December 31, 2011

Winding down 2011

Here it is New Year's Even and I sit blogging.  I still have two hours left of this year.  I'll start partying soon.  Then again.. I might just go to bed.

We are still settling in to the farmhouse.  Our clothes are in boxes, on shelves and stacked up nose-high on dressers. Peter and I can't seem to agree on what should go where in the kitchen so it sits piled on the counter.  Our dining room still has two dressers in it. A work in progress to be sure.

We are not retrieving my things from storage just yet.  We peeked under the 1970's shag carpeting in the living room and found beautiful fir flooring.  Unfinished even.  Apparently when the house was built in the first half of the last century they tossed a carpet over it and never looked back.  We can't believe the luck!  It's like striking it rich at a goldmine.  Next week we're going to take out our meager furniture and start on the floors.  I'm very excited - although a week or two break wouldn't be entirely objectionable.  I'm starting to miss my fiber.

Jill came up for a couple of days and we found ourselves forced to shop.  We needed shower curtains, drawer dividers, storage cabinets.  Gobs of things.  It was a dirty job but someone had to do it.  We slapped lipstick on a pig and managed this fine product out of the guest bathroom:

The walls and fixtures are a lovely harvest gold - which honestly doesn't look too bad, considering.  I can live with it for awhile.

Today I had to put my daughter on a train headed south toward her home.  She passed her brother and his wife somewhere around Tacoma as they were headed up for a visit.  It was kind of like the changing of the guard.

At any rate - Kyle and Mary are here now.  They've gone to bed already as they've been up since 3:00 today.  Kyle helped us with the refrigerator swap.  It involved three refrigerators.  We took mine from storage and brought it into the farmhouse.  Took the one from the farmhouse and put it into the mother-in-law's suite (former batchelor pad), and then took the one from the batchelor pad to storage.  I found orange juice with a "best buy" date of July 9.  It was green.  Ewwwwww.

Now I must go join the non-festivities. 

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment