Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Day in the life of a future Goat herder

I left! I abandoned my family and headed north. I left Kyle and Mary to watch Jill and Sparky. I left Jill to ensure that Kyle and Mary obey the house rules. I left Jill and Mary to take care of Kyle. I left all three of them to tend to my mom. And I ran as fast as I could north to Peter. Guilt lives in every pore of my being - but I think I can tolerate it.

Today I slept in late and leisurely drank my coffee. Peter went to the office. I read a bit of the book that he bought me, showered, went to town and did a bit of shopping, met Peter, came back to the house, drank mimosa’s and took a nap.

I like it! This seems like a perfect way to spend the rest of my days.

Of course.. Then the obligatory autumn leaf raking began. It started out such a nice day too. There was ice in the pond and yesterday’s hail still on the ground and we’re out there raking leaves for … like… 12 hours! I might’ve gotten frost bitten! I almost have blisters! My lips are chapped even!

If it weren’t for the fact that Peter is cooking dinner while I sit here doing nothing I might get cranky. But I wouldn’t dare or I might end up with the cooking chore. Yikes!

Now I need to read more of my book. So far I’ve learned that you don’t call goats Nannies or Billies in polite company. I’ve learned that goats must be milked every 12 hours - whether you want to or not. I’ve learned that Goats are browsers not grazers. I’ve learned that goats are related to deer, not cats or dogs (honestly.. It said that in the book!) And I’ve learned that goats are not pets and should not be treated as such. I can’t wait to see what else I will learn!

1 comment:

  1. Did someone seriously think that goats were related to cats and dogs? why did they leave out salamanders?

    ReplyDelete