Sunday, November 29, 2009

I love long weekends

Long weekends with friends and family are even better. We had lots of fun.

We survived Thanksgiving - again. Peter has developed this odd inclination to risk our lives on holidays. Last Thanksgiving he got us lost in Minto Brown after dark. At Christmas he got us stuck in the snow up in the woods for several hours. (All wheel drive doesn't help when the snow high-centers the car and the tires don't touch pavement.)

This Thanksgiving it was my turn to risk our lives. I cooked a turkey that I found at the very bottom of our large chest freezer. I know it was purchased after July, 2004 - because we moved the freezer empty. But other than that I have no idea when it entered our deep freeze. I cooked it anyway.. and risked us all getting food poisoning. We didn't! whew.

The weekend didn't pass without injury though. I did something quite foolish - which I won't go into detail over (mostly because I'm embarrassed by it) - and nearly broke two of my fingers. I whacked 'em good. They are now black and blue, swollen and quite stiff. THIS is what happens when I break the rules. Rules exist for a reason and I challenged a rule. I've learned my lesson. When a sign says "No" or "Don't" or "Caution" I shall pay attention.

In the summer of 2007 Peter and Kyle went on some errand. On their return, they came in the door with arms full of grapes and an incredibly mischievous grins on their faces. With a twinkle in his eye Peter announced.. "We got grapes. I'm going to make wine!" Those grapes and a whole bunch more made a fine batch of "Peter's Perfect Pinot." Last night we had some dear friends over for wine tasting. We had 7 slightly different variations of the same batch. 225 bottles of the 2007 vintage (2008 & 2009 are still processing). #7 is my favorite. #5 was Cheryl's fave. Len said he liked them all. We never got around to opening bottles 1 & 2. It was just too much wine!

The weekend has been fun. I wish it didn't have to end. sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment