Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Telephone Game

Remember that game from your childhood?

It all started out so simply. My plan: Phone my mom to tell her I was on my way to take her to a doctor appointment.

Ring ring. ring ring (times a gazillion.. it takes her forever to answer the phone!)

Her: Hello. Hang on.

(shuffle shuffle, rustle, wheeze, pant, shuffle. I hummed the theme from Jeopardy at least twice while waiting)

Her (finally): okay.

Me: Hello

Her: What?

Me: Hello There!

Her: You're going to the fair?

Me: No. I wanted to say Hi.

Her: You're crying??

Me: No. I just wanted to.. sigh.. How are you today?

Her: Who is this?

Me: It's Sharon. Your daughter.

Her: Who?

Me: SHARON.

Her: oh. what do you want?

Me: I was calling to say I was coming over.

Her: Come on over then. click.


She called me tonight after dinner to tell me how lovely and surprising the evening was and how gracious everyone was. It was a lovely party and she was sorry I missed it.

I love my mother. She is one of things I am thankful for.

I hope one and all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and that you can all find something, anything, even weird things, to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment