Sunday, September 20, 2009

I'll not be the next "Cake Boss!"

I made a cake for Peter.

It was a sour cream chocolate confection with a chocolate fudge frosting. Or at least that was what it was intended to be.

The cake sunk. Then crumbled on it's way out of the pan. I doubled the frosting recipe and still didn't have enough frosting. I made more. I burned it. I know.. you ask.. "How can you burn frosting???" This frosting required that the chocolate be melted in a double boiler. Since I had not anticipated the necessity for a second batch my butter was still a little solid so I tossed it in with the chocolate to melt. I finished the frosting only to find it tasted quite scalded and icky.

I tossed that entire second batch of frosting away and discovered I was out of chocolate. Cleverly I thought that perhaps there was WAY too much chocolate in this cake anyway and that it might be tasty to cut the chocolate with another flavor. So.. White, vanilla, 7 minute frosting it was. I figured that I could swirl the white with the brown and end up with a swirly marbly effect that would made a lovely cake.

Not so much.. I'm quite embarrassed (but at the same time morbidly entertained) by my efforts. The overall taste was way too sweet, diabetic coma inducing but other than that the flavor was quite okay.

Thanks to my daughter's willingness to hang with the g'ma (who has returned to her confusing world) Peter and I were able to go on an actual date last night. Sushi and bowling. He won. For the first time ever, he won.

It was his birthday after all. It wouldn't have been very nice to beat him.

1 comment:

  1. valient effort =) and i now understand how you burned the frosting. at first that confused me a lot haha.

    ReplyDelete