Monday, September 28, 2009

In search of the perfect place

The search has begun in earnest to find mom a nice place to live.

Thursday we looked at one place that wasn't too awful, except the Host or Manager or whatever you want to call him made my skin crawl. He spoke in a child-like voice, was condescending and treated my mother like an idiot. My mother is NOT dumb. She is confused. There is a HUGE difference. We left that place with a very bad taste in our mouths.

Then we went to another place that was much smaller and homier. On our way out Mom said, "are we leaving? I wasn't paying attention!" So we made an appointment to go back on Friday.

We went back, but because of some confusion we went to the wrong place. There were two very similar places, side-by-side and I had accidentally made an appointment for the other place. My mother liked it very much. I liked it better than the place next door. We thought we found a good fit. Only, they have no private rooms available - nor will they as they move people from shared rooms to single rooms within the house - and she's not willing to share.

We went looking again today. We found a place that was decorated so very lovely. The hallways were made to look like streets and the offices & rooms were shops on the street. The old ice cream shop, the beauty parlor, and more. They had "apartments" and 2 chickens and a rabbit. It was lovely. Mom said, and I quote, "I will commit suicide if you make me live here."

Not a good sign. I've run out of options for places with memory care. Now we have assisted living (which isn't really enough assistance I think) or a nursing home (which is WAY too much assistance).

Tomorrow we are going to look at a standard assisted living place. Cross your fingers for us.

2 comments:

  1. I did some consulting work for this company they had a number of great homes and seemed to treat their people very very well.

    http://www.marquiscompanies.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh grammy. love the little quotes you put on here of her =)

    ReplyDelete