Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 72 - decisions


Dogs get old.
Dogs get sick.
Dogs get better.
Dogs get sicker.


Today was a very bad one for Sophie. Decisions had to be made. I took her to the vet. I listened to the prognosis. I weighed the costs vs potential outcome vs her quality of life. The sensible and humane thing to do was to have her put to sleep.

I could not do it. I couldn't. I tried to say the words but couldn't make myself. She had a temperature of a 104. Her body is fighting itself. They say she MIGHT get better. How could I take that chance away from her?

She's spending tonight at the vet. They are giving her iv's and antibiotics and I may have to mortgage my house. Or sell the car. Who needs 'em anyway? I think I will go finish crying now. Maybe tomorrow I can be a grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment