Sunday, June 14, 2009

Day 78 - Trees. BIG trees

Since it's been difficult for me to be away overnight, Peter has been doing most of the traveling for our weekends together- and we're stretching the time between our visits to three weeks. Today we met in Olympia just for the day to break up the long stretch without each other.

We drove over to Lake Quinalt and hiked up to a few beatiful waterfalls. We saw the world's largest Spruce tree (according to the sign) and we saw the "Quinalt Cedar" an ancient cedar tree which you can actually stand inside.

Both trees are thought to be over 1,000 years old.

The world's largest spruce tree has a circumference of 58'11". It has a huge root system. I climbed up the roots of this tree. That doesn't seem like a big deal.. but check out the picture! The roots are considerably taller than I am.

Climbing up was easier than coming down. That's not quite accurate.. because once I started down.. I CAME down. None to elegantly. I scraped the skin off my elbows. I wrenched my shoulder and the worst? I slid the last part on my backside. The tree was pitchy. I ended up with a pitchy skidmark on my bottom. Not attractive. Nope. Peter said to me.. "Ewww.. if THAT'S on the outside.. I can't image what's on the inside!"

Oh.. we saw some goats today too! Yay goats!!

No comments:

Post a Comment