Saturday, June 27, 2009

708:13:30 - Treasure Hunt!

I bought pistachio's today. I love pistachio's. I bought them mostly for enjoyment on my way to Peters on Wednesday, but some for snacking on now.

I was just craving a pistachio and went to get my newly purchased purchase. I couldn't find them. I looked high. I looked low. I looked in the pantry. I looked in the laundry room. I looked in each and every cupboard in the kitchen. I finally found a small portion of them in a tupperware next to the fish tank. Makes perfect sense to me.. Nuts, fish.. nuts, fish. Perhaps that the fish in the tank is named Dill made it seem to be an obvious choice to my mom. I still have not located the main container of them. Nor have I found any sign of the peanuts I also bought today.

My mother loves tupperware and tupperware is NOT the same as rubbermaid. When I bring stuff home from the grocery (cereal, macaroni, nuts) she immediately removes it from the original package, places it in un-marked or mis-marked tupperware and stashes it somewhere. Sometimes she mixes it together. Yumm! Rice Krispies, Cocoa Puffs and Life cereal - a treat to remember! I'm sure, at this point I have long-forgotten food stashed under beds and in cupboards that some future archeologist will consider a rare and unique find. The tupperware should certainly keep it safe.

It's like a treasure hunt every day. Not only does she hide new stuff I buy.. but she will move things from one container to another and you can never find the thing you're looking for when you're looking for it. She re-locates all the kitchen items at whim. At Thanksgiving we didn't find the good silver until the next day - when she mysteriously found it in her underwear drawer.

Someday I hope to have control of my kitchen and my "stuff"... but I know that when I do.. some of the excitement and adventure I get to enjoy now will be gone and it probably will not be nearly as sweet as I think it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment