Thursday, July 30, 2009

Diagnosis

I took my mom to neurologist #2 today. He was nothing like Dr. Ass. This man was kind, caring, thoughtful. He listened. He was patient. He had a sense of humor. When all was said and done, diagnosis: Alzheimer's. Raise your hand if you're surprised.

Peter (the finest Chiropractic Neurologist in the world!) asked me why I was seeking a diagnosis. Why a label mattered. I didn't have an answer for him then. I think I do now.

I needed to have a name for this thing that was stealing my mother from me. I needed to know the name of the enemy. Now I know. Now I know what to research. Now I know what the future holds.

I can not control this - but at least now I KNOW what it is I can not control. I know what expectations to have. Knowledge is power. I will continue to follow all of Peter's recommendations - Goodness knows he has more constructive and helpful knowledge and advice than all these other dr's combined.

New topic!

I found the perfect beverage for my 50th birthday celebration.

2 comments:

  1. While not surprised about your mum's diagnosis, I'm sorry this is happening to her. I won't pretend to imagine what you and yours are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm deeply sorry about your mom's diagnosis, but I'm with you: Forewarned is forearmed. A few years ago, Lori began to suffer from an inability to concentrate and later to think. We feared Alzheimers or MS or stroke or a dozen other possible conditions, each in our minds worse than the next. Most of Lori's doctors were useless, but my friends and colleagues proved invaluable. They were what led us to the correct diagnosis, which was the onset of menopause. We found a doctor who was skilled at hormone treatments, and since beginning her therapy, Lori's back to about 95 percent of what she was.

    The not knowing was, for us, a continual source of stress. Like you, we knew that from knowledge comes the strength to fight.

    This is a battle you would rather not have, but you have the resolve to do what needs to be done. With the wonderful support of Dr. Peter, your children and your friends, you will get through this. Of that I have no doubt.

    ReplyDelete