Thursday, April 16, 2009

My sushi exploded

That's way better than Julie's Sushi exploding (Sushi is her shiba inu pup).

Today is Thursday. Also known as "My Friday!" To celebrate I stopped by the very best Sushi restaurant in Salem, and quite possibly Oregon, to pick up dinner to go. I had a rainbow roll and some wasabi tobiko. Unfortunately, the tobiko didn't travel very well. :( The good news is that it still tastes just as wonderful. But isn't it sad looking?

Last night I was working on my sexy chenille scarf (aka scarf v.3) and right in the middle of the row my entire neighborhood lost power.

The most amazing things happen when there is no electricity. There I was, sitting alone in my family room knitting and listening to the TV when the electricity went "pffzzt." Within 60 seconds both of my children had exited the dungeons of their rooms.. with no TV and no internet what was the point? They joined me for actual conversation and then we went outside into the cul-de-sac where all the neighbors were gathering, as if drawn like a magnet, to the center. We stood around discussing what started as the power outage, to talks of family, kids, jobs. The guy at the end of the street who no one has ever met even came out to talk. It's like this every time the power goes out - people go outside. It was awfully nice.

After about an hour the power returned and people quickly headed back in. The kids went back to their rooms, neighbors all went into their homes and life went back to normal. I'm certain no one was miserable standing out their chatting so why do you suppose they were in such a rush. And now that I think about it.. why am I inside doing this instead of outside while it's still daylight?

I think it might not be such a bad thing if the power company could arrange an outage about once a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment